Articles about web and social media responses to the storm.
- Sandy Recovery Gets Tech Help
- Facebook, Twitter help officials spread information after Hurricane Sandy
Get your feet wet in the world of web design! Learn the basics of the web and make your first site.
- How to Build Websites
- Basic Web Design Principles
- Web Design 101
- Tutorials from W3Schools
- Beginner Web Design (video series)
CSS3, the latest iteration of CSS, gives designers incredible freedom to style web sites. Learn the basics and take your first steps to creating a responsive web site for mobile devices!
- W3Schools CSS3 Tutorial
- CSS3 Generator
- 9 CSS Properties You Can Use Now
- CSS3 Cheat Sheets
- Responsive Web Design Overview
- How to Use Media Queries to Create a Mobile Version of Your Website
- Responsive CSS3 Frameworks
The next major iteration of HTML, HTML5 includes more features and better semantics; if you’re starting a site from scratch, it’s best to code it in HTML5. Learn how!
- Yes, You Can Use HTML5 Today!
- Introduction to HTML5 (Video)
- My First HTML5 Page
- HTML5 Doctor
- How to Make All Browsers Render HTML5
- HTML5 Gallery
- HTML5 Boilerplate
- A Beginner’s Guide to JQuery
- Responsive Web Design Plugins: as web users move to mobile, responsive web design is becoming a vital tool for designers. These plugins will help.
- Coding Techniques for More Dynamic Websites: Succinct and informative tutorials to add interactivity to your sites, like hover effects, search, and sliders.
- Plugins for Form Validation: Make your forms responsive with auto-tabbing, upload capability, auto suggest, and more.
- Sliders: 70 (!!) amazing Jquery-powered slideshows that you can use for your sites.
WordPress is far and away the most widely used open-source blogging/CMS platform, but there are many out there to choose from, each with their own benefits and drawbacks. Take a look and see which one may work best for you.
Tips, Tutorials and Freebies
There are countless web design blogs and tutorial sites out there. Many of these have a mix of tutorials, general tips, and freebies (graphics and code). Here are some of the best: